One of the most attractive travel destinations in Indonesia is Kelimutu, the crater lakes in Flores. The multi-colored crater has been a unique and one of a kind geological anomaly. There are total three crater lakes in Kelimutu.
Even though they come from the same volcano and the location of each lake is side by side, they show different color periodically and independently. Scientifically, fumarole activity is what makes the lakes to change their colors on the surface. The colors are ranged from red, turquoise and white.
What to prepare to visit Kelimutu Indonesia
The crater lakes in Kelimutu are called Three-Colored Lakes by the local. They believe that the crater lakes are the place where the ancestral spirits stay. Each lake belongs to different type of spirits such as the spirits of youngster, elderly, and bad people.
The locals also believe that the crater lakes contain a great magic. The volcanic lakes are boiling from the inside. Here is what you need to know before visiting Kelimutu, Indonesia:
- The location of Kelimutu is in Flores. It is 40 miles away from the town of Ende. You can take a flight to Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Jakarta, Indonesia capital city. Then you can continue your journey to airport in the town of Ende.
- Since the journey to reach the volcanic lakes is not that simple, it is recommended to stay the night at the nearest village called Moni. the road to Flores is narrow and mountainous. Therefore the journey will be likely to be slow-going. Moni is 9 limes away from the location. You can arrange your transportation to reach Kelimutu in this village. It is usually arranged around 4 a.m. so you can see the sunrise.
- Since the journey to Kelimutu from Moni village is usually at dawn, it is recommended to bring warm clothes. The mornings in Flores in extremely cold as well as windy especially on the summit. However, the day may heat up later in the afternoon so you can opt for jackets. Thus, you can remove it when you feel heated.
- Hiking at dawn to catch the sunrise through the well-marked trailing is safe but it is recommended to bring your own flashlight for your safety. It is also recommended to bring your own water and snacks so that you can enjoy the view without ignoring your growling stomach especially not after hiking up to reach the lakes.
- There will be an entrance gate before you reach the lake and you will be expected to pay a small fee. Then, you can enjoy your time waiting for sunrise. When the sun is high, you can see the lakes clearly. However, it is not recommended at all to walk around the lakes especially the area when the steep is loose and rocky. The fumes are also too dangerous to breathe in if you are too close with the lakes. You don’t want to fall into the lake especially it’s a boiling volcanic lake we are talking about.