Renting a car is one of necessities for travelling. It is one of the most efficient for transport during travel because taking public transport seems to be a quite hassle. For those who have gotten used to rent a car while travelling must have already known tips and trick to lower the price. However, for those who are likely to be inexperience in renting a car must face trouble here and there. There are many types of mistakes travelers do in renting car. One of the most common mistakes is ignoring the needs of working with the pricing structure ahead of time. As the result, travelers spend much money just for renting a car.
How to save your money on car renting for travelling
For budget travelers, money does matter. Every cent spent for travel necessity should be efficient. Besides, there are many more interesting and useful things to spend money rather than spending it on car renting. You can save your money for visiting various tourist attractions or foods. So here are tips to save your money on renting a car for travelling:
- Make sure to do some research ahead of time. You can check the available rates and see if you can get the best deal. Some car rental companies offer lower rate in weekdays and higher the price in weekend. Checking the best rental period is a great strategy to save your money.
- Only buy insurance that you really need. Otherwise, you will only waste your money from unnecessary insurance you won’t even use. Choose the most suitable coverage that will make sure you really need and will be used later. Thus, you can avoid overpaying for car insurance.
- It is highly recommended to avoid renting a car at the airport. The taxes are already high so the rental fee will be become a pain in your wallet. Of course it is more efficient to rent a car at the airport since you don’t have to go anywhere. However, you can search for another more efficient and advantageous alternative such as asking the staff at your hotel about local car rental offering cheaper price.
- Before sealing the deal, make sure you get unlimited miles. It is not rare that some car rental companies offer daily allotment of mileage which cause you pay for unnecessary penalty from over going.
- Decline unnecessary features or facility offered by car rental company. For example, most of them often offer GPS equipment which requires you to pay more for the rental fee. It is not essential to have your rental car equipped with GPS since you have smartphone which can function just fine.
- Make sure you inspect the car you are going to rent before sealing the deal. Look for some scratch, dent or cracks. If there are minor problems, make sure you confirm the owner that they are already there before you use it. You can take some pictures as proofs just in case the owner charges you falsely when you return the car.